Position Announcement: Outreach and Communications Coordinator
Jul 21, 2016
Organizational and Position Background
The Montana Budget and Policy Center (MBPC) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization with the mission to advance responsible tax, budget, and economic policies through credible research and analysis in order to promote opportunity and fairness for all Montanans.
MBPC is seeking an Outreach and Communications Coordinator to organize efforts regarding a number of policy priorities including advocating for a fair tax structure and a responsible state budget that provides adequate revenue to invest in our communities and families. Reporting to the Co-Director of Public Affairs, this position will work collaboratively with the MBPC staff and coalition partners to develop and implement communication and outreach strategies to broaden the impact of MBPC’s initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support for a statewide coalition focused on tax fairness and ensuring adequate revenue for a strong state budget
- Assist in drafting of advocacy, educational, outreach, and lobbying materials
- Support activities related to the legislative session, including, but not limited to: research and monitoring bills and committees, community education, rallies, and action alerts
- Supporting the Co-Director in the planning and execution of organizational communications and outreach strategies
- Assist with the organization’s web presence, including regular email communication, website, social media platforms, in a manner consistent with MBPC’s messaging
- Synthesize technical information into relatable, simplified materials (e.g. talking points, action alerts, and policy updates)
- Educate coalition participants and potential allies through a variety of communication channels to convey key information about the state’s budget, the importance of raising revenues fairly, and the coalition’s action agenda.
- Initiate, build relationships, and recruit new coalition members from with members of the low-income, faith-based, business, and other relevant communities.
Required Experience and Education
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including experience in public speaking and development of outreach materials
- Sense of humor
- Strong ability to work independently as well as in a collaborative environment
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in communications, public policy, or a related field (advanced degree preferred)
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships with a wide range of groups and individuals
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and work at a high capacity in order to meet deadlines
- Strong abilities in Microsoft Office Suite, outreach database systems, and Internet research tools
- Experience in the state legislative process is preferred
- Knowledge of data analysis or research capabilities is preferred
- Knowledge of graphic design and web page tools (Illustrator, InDesign, WordPress, or other programs) is preferred
The ideal candidate will work full time and be based in Helena. However, a truly outstanding candidate who is based elsewhere in Montana will be considered.
Montana Budget and Policy Center provides competitive salary and benefit packages within the non-profit sector, including health, retirement, and leave benefits. Applicants are encouraged to provide expected salary range.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume by email (preferred) or mail to:
Montana Budget and Policy Center
101 N. Last Chance Gulch, #220
Helena, MT 59601
The position is open until filled. Initial application review will include all applications received by August 10.
MBPC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, religious or political affiliation, disability, and any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.